Jenna has more than 19 years of experience in intellectual property law with a focus on patent drafting and prosecution. Her patent prosecution work emphasizes emerging technologies and subject areas that challenge the boundaries of current patent law, such as biotechnology and information technology. As a registered patent agent, she has drafted patent applications and procured patent rights for clients across a wide range of fields ranging from medicine to oil & gas to financial technology.
- Managing large patent portfolios and providing drafting services to influential multinational companies in subject matter ranging from cryptography to consumer products
- Drafting and advising on software development agreements and licenses in copyright and contractual disputes, and in support of start-up companies developing new technology
- Developing patent portfolios and advising on patent strategy for small companies in the smart home industry
- Acting as repair counsel in restoring patent applications to good standing
Jenna is active in the intellectual property community as a writer, speaker, and educator. In addition to authoring articles on intellectual property matters, she was co-author of the patents chapter in Intellectual Property Disputes: Resolutions and Remedies published by Thomson Carswell. Currently, Jenna is teaching the Patent Law course at the University of Windsor.
Jenna is also Chair of the Patent Practice Committee, a joint liaison committee of the Canadian Intellectual Property Office and the Intellectual Property Institute of Canada concerning Patent Office practice matters. She has also participated in consultative roles with CIPO on patent practice issues and the Canadian intellectual property regime. Jenna also served for several years on the Canadian Patent Agent Examining Board, which qualifies candidates for patent practice in Canada.
Professional qualifications & education
- Barrister and Solicitor, Ontario
- Registered Patent Agent, Canada and USA
- Registered Trademark Agent, Canada
- J.D., University of Toronto
- B.Sc. Physics, University of Waterloo
- Patents Chapter, Intellectual Property Disputes: Resolutions and Remedies, Carswell (co-author)
- Intellectual Property Chapter, Bullen & Leake & Jacob’s Canadian Precedents of Pleadings, 1st and 2nd ed. Carswell (co-author)
- “DIY Patents”, presentation at EPICentre, Windsor, February 2018
- “The new Patent Rules: What to expect and how to prepare”, LSO 22nd Annual Intellectual Property Law: The Year in Review, Ottawa, January 2018 (co-presenter)
- “IP Update for Technology Practice - Patents”, 2017 IT.CAN 21st Annual Conference
- “Proposed Patent Rules—What, why & when?”, IPIC webinar, August 2017 (co-presenter)
- “High cost of a lost fight”, Lawyer’s Daily, March 2017 (co-author)
- “Patent ‘file wrapper’ ban showing its age”, The Lawyer’s Weekly, January 2017 (co-author)
- “Copyright or Patent? How to Protect my Software”, presentation at EPICentre, Windsor, October 2016